Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow
Planning on spending Valentine’s Day curled up on the couch with a movie and tasty snacks? Then you have to make a bowl of Valentine’s Day Puppy Chow!
My ideal way of spending Valentine’s Day is on the couch with loved ones (whether it be my boyfriend, family or friends), watching a movie and enjoying too many tasty snacks. I know one of the snacks I’ll be serving this V Day… Puppy Chow.
A couple of years ago an American friend introduced me to Puppy Chow and I’ve been hooked ever since. For those playing back in Australia, Puppy Chow is a delicious treat made up of Chex cereal, melted chocolate, peanut butter, butter and icing sugar. (Thankfully) we don’t have Chex in Australia, so I only make this treat about once a year.
This year I decided to come up with my own version (minus the peanut butter) and put a Valentine’s Day twist on it. As mentioned in my Confetti Cinnamon Scrolls recipe, Valentine’s Day is huge here in the US and the supermarkets are filled with V Day-themed candy. I’ve added some of my favorites to the Puppy Chow and the results were pretty sweet.
Feel free to substitute the m&m’s and Sweet Art’s with candy of your choice.
Wishing you a very happy Valentine’s Day! Don’t forget to check out more Valentine’s Day recipes below.
Tell me dear reader, what candy would you add to your bowl of Puppy Chow?
5 cups of Chex cereal (or a lattice-type cereal of your choice)
1 cup chocolate bits
1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes and softened
1/2 – 1 cup icing sugar, aka powdered sugar
1 cup of pink, white and red m&m’s
Optional: Conversation heart candy
- Add the Chex to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the chocolate bits and butter to a medium-sized glass bowl and place over a saucepan of boiling water (ensure the glass bowl isn’t touching the water). Stir continuously, until chocolate and butter are melted and combined.
- Immediately pour the melted chocolate and butter mixture over the Chex and stir gently, until Chex is covered.
- Add Chex and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar to a large snap lock bag or freezer bag. Seal at the top and gently shake the Chex around until it’s covered by the icing sugar. If your bag isn’t big enough, complete this step in a few different batches.
- Pour into your serving bowl, add the m&m’s and other candy. Finish with the sprinkles and enjoy!
Check out other Valentine’s Day recipes:
- Confetti Cinnamon Scrolls
- Confetti Cinnamon Scrolls Cheats Edition
- Valentine’s Love Cookies
- Pink Pocky Cake
- Slutty Brownies
- The Cookie Dough Cake
- Choc Chip Cookie Pizza
- Tiramisu Cupcakes