Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding
Can’t get through all those delicious hot cross buns? Don’t throw them out, use them to make up a delicious serving of Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding.
On Friday three members of my family turned up with Hot Cross Buns. While I was excited at the prospect of gorging on buns, we could only get through a few and had plenty to spare.
Not wanting even a single bite of bun to go to waste, I decided to make up a custard-type mix to pour over and bake them. The result was delicious and the perfect dessert to serve for our Easter feast.
While I used a combination of chocolate and chocolate chip buns, you can use whatever flavour you prefer. And, because you can’t have enough chocolate on Easter long-weekend, I added a few extra chocolate bits.
Wishing you a very happy Easter and a safe long weekend!
6 x Chocolate Hot Cross Buns, halved
1-2 Tbs butter
3 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
300ml Thickened Cream
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 Tbs choc chips
- Preheat oven to 170ºc and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Butter the buns, put them back together and place into the tray.
- Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium-sized bowl and beat until well combined. Set aside.
- Add cream and vanilla bean paste to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Be sure to watch the cream and stir as soon as it starts to boil. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cream mixture to the egg and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Pour over the hot cross buns and sprinkle with choc chips.
- Place into the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until pudding starts to turn golden.
- Serve and enjoy!